This is part of our 21 Day Skincare Routine Challenge and today it is all about menopausal skincare routines. We have some pro tips to leave your skin luminous and glowy.
The Effects of Menopause on Your Skin
"Studies show that women’s skin loses about 30% of its collagen during the first five years of menopause. After that, the decline is more gradual. Women lose about 2% of their collagen ever year for the next 20 years. As collagen diminishes, our skin loses it firmness" American Academy of Dermatology
Here are some holistic rituals and pro tips to improve your skin throughout menopause. Your skin tends to be drier throughout menopause so keeping skin nourished from the inside and outside is important. Your skin loses its ability to hold as much water through menopause so skin can get really dry, especially during winter when you spend more time indoors.
How can you improve the tone, texture and look of your skin?
- Eat healthy non trans fat oils such as grapeseed, olive, or avocado daily to nourish skin from within.
- Use an oil based serum with antioxidants and bioflavinoid creams to improve skin density and firmness
- Massage your face and body daily, even for 5 minutes when applying moisturizer or body lotion.
- Use waterless or botanical water infused formulas to deeply nourish and treat menopausal skin. You don't want to be paying for water in formulas, it basically causes the product to evaporate on the skin and not have enough good ingredients to penetrate the skin and improve cellular hydration.
- Do facial exercises to improve tone daily, just 2 to 5 minutes of facial exercises improve of the skin. It is so hilarious watching yourself in the mirror doing these!
- Water, drink lots of water, plus these are good to add in in moderation, caffeine free teas, fresh pressed. vegetable and fruit juices.
- Apply moisturizer directly after bathing or showering or washing your face to seal in moisture.
An Evening Ritual For Menopausal Skin
Here is my current routine that I alternate to 3-4 nights a week to maintain my skin's tone and healthy glow. By the way anyone who has the discipline to stick to evening rituals will have noticably better skin than a person who does not. Having gorgeous skin at any age is something you can control, its not just about great genes, it is all about consistency everyday
Although we have to hand it to Martha for living her best life and landing the cover of Sports Illustrated at 81! Way to go Martha! I think that the management of Sports Illustrated are forward thinking, believe in gender equality and want to celebrate women at every age which is refreshing and it is about time to celebrate women of all ages!
My Evening Routine
Cleanse with Wild Tea Cleanser, exfoliate by massaging in Avalonia Mystical Masque for 5 minutes, it has natural brightening ingredients that transform skin without irritating it. Leave the masque off areas that irritate, for instance I wear glasses so the bridge of my nose has thinner skin it does not need exfoliating.
Massage in Arctic Serum, follow with Firming Cream or Labrador Tea Night Cream
Apply Rose Petal Eye Cream around eyes and on neck area.
Once in bed apply serum and hand cream to hands and massage in.
Any questions? Or if you would like a skincare consult you can book online for an in person or virtual consult with Lisa
Links to other blogs you may like to read.